Thursday, February 4, 2010

LOOK MA! I'm cookin'!

Rainy and dreary today -- which funny enough, motivated me to cook. I'm definitely a novice to the whole "being in the kitchen" bit, but I find cooking to be relaxing (when the sauce is just simmering and not boiling over or the chicken is baking and not burnt). There's a whole new chemistry to cooking I haven't ever thought about before. Who knew making a grill cheese sandwich required so much science??

Tonight, I made "Dee's Shrimp" -- it's w/ shrimp (duh) saute in green onions and simmers in a nice, light cream sauce of tomatoes and mushroom. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a cajun-feel.

  • 1 lb of peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 1.5 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup of white wine (use sherry for substitute)
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp basil (dry or fresh)
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
>Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in shrimp, garlic and green onion for about 5 mins, until shrimp is not longer translucent.
>Plate and set shrimp aside
>Pour in cream, tomatoes, basil, mushroom, and cayenne pepper.
>Bring to simmer and reduce heat, for about 10 minutes, until the cream evenly coat the back of your spoon.
>Stir in shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately

Bon appetite!

Out of the day post tomorrow.

In other news, my Person and I made a pack to eat healthier and start exercising more. I'm kinda sick of being the only out of shape person in northern california. I don't want them stinkin' hippies to outhike me!


No comments:

Post a Comment